Thursday, March 28, 2013

Dr. Jack Kruse and the Epi-paleo Rx

I just finished the book, Epi-paleo Rx: The Prescription for Disease Reversal and Optimal Health, ebook edition, by Dr. Jack Kruse. The paperback edition can be purchased here.

I'm not going to lie, when I first heard of Dr. Kruse about 1.5 years ago I thought he was a whack-job whose methods and practices were too radical for me and I moved on. Why? Well, he recommend 8 jazillion medical tests that, for most of us, are too expensive in terms of both time and money. It also seemed like everyone who visited his site were spazzing over all of these tests, so they were just as whacky as he. In very short order I felt as though I were not welcome in his club because I couldn't (and still can't) get these tests. Hell, I could barely afford his book, so forget about the tests. Nor could I afford all that freaking meat, and the thought of choking down 50-75g of protein and a boatload of fat every morning to do the leptin reset, within 30 minutes of waking, was just too much.

Granted, buying the book for most people is not a problem, but I don't live in the States anymore and I don't have an income like I once had--not even close--and every penny counts. The fact that I actually spent the 10 bucks from my super-precious Amazon gift card, speaks volumes about how my way of thinking with respect to Dr. Kruse has changed. Now, he has either become less radical and whacky, or I have become more so. Not sure which is the case. At any rate, after reading the first chapter (free) I was sold. I immediately bought the book.

Reading the book--in two days--convinced me that I needed to make even more changes in my already good lifestyle. Well, I think it's good. Most people will not be able to read this book in two days and get anything from it as it is very science heavy. I did so only because I devoured every available course in science while at university--especially during my undergraduate studies--and with a near-photographic memory, the science in his book was easy to digest and make sense of.  This is not an easy, fast read is the point I'm trying to make. I will actually be going over some of the fine points later.

I was amazed to discover more about leptin and how it controls every hormone in the body. On top of that, since we all know that hormones control every aspect of our body's functions, a body that doesn't utilize leptin properly will not be able to function properly. You can eat as healthy as you like but if you are leptin resistant your body will still not behave in the manner in which it is meant to behave. In other words--you will stay unhealthy, despite your best efforts. Fortunately, he lists the symptoms of leptin resistance so that those of us without access/finances for medical testing can make an educated decision as to whether or not we are, in fact, leptin resistant. Now, I have armed myself with a printed list of these tests so that when I go for one of my twice annual checkups, I can ask the doctor to run these tests for me. Thank goodness for socialized medicine with regard to that because I really could not otherwise afford it.

Now, based on some of these symptoms and others such as the fact that I once had an eating disorder, I have come to the conclusion that I am leptin resistant. So, I decided yesterday to give the leptin reset (LR) a red, hot, go. It was a no-go. I wasn't really mentally prepared nor did I have my kitchen properly stocked. The only protein sources I had in the house were eggs and some cheese. Also, as you all know, I don't normally eat breakfast. I usually don't eat until 2'ish in the afternoon when hunger first strikes, despite the fact that I awaken at 4:30 am, do the day's baking, housework, long slow runs, workout, etc... I get a lot of physical activity in (remember--laundry is done by hand, hahaha) before I consume my first bite of food. What really freaked me out was that while I was choking down all those eggs that were cooked in butter and drowning in cheese was that I was getting really hungry. Six eggs, butter, and cheese should make a person feel sickeningly full. For me, though, I just wanted to eat and eat and eat. My day was ruined. I didn't want to run because I was hungry. I didn't want to do anything because I was hungry. So, I went to the forum he has and asked what to do. I got answers right away and that just made me realize I had to stock the kitchen before I could do this.

I am going to do it, too. Starting tomorrow. Today, I will buy some homemade longanizas which have a ton of fat plus a lot of protein in a small amount and eat with it some cooked chicken breast salad made with my homemade mayonnaise. This will put me right about where I have to be in order to get my 50-75 grams of required protein, plus I don't have to actually work that first 30 minutes because I'll have everything prepared the night before. I can warm the sausages while I'm eating the chicken salad. I suppose I can do the same with tuna--might as well use some of that wonderful yellowfin I caught last week, right?

My greatest sorrow is that exercise is prohibited during this time. At least I can walk so I'll be able to enjoy watching the dogs run and play. I can also swim, so that's ok, too. I will then be able to incorporate the Cold Thermogenesis by plunging myself into the cold Pacific with its really cold Humboldt currents and reap the benefits of that. Yes, I'm going to take his advice seriously and not half-ass it. I'll also be sure to let you all know how it works out. Hell, if I could do the HCG diet strictly and faithfully, losing 95 pounds, I can do anything. I guess that's why I love the paleo diet so much--I was able to maintain my weight loss for which I worked so hard without having to suffer or sacrifice. So, if I need to do a leptin reset in order to be able to achieve the body composition I desire, plus purge me of late night carbo cravings and finally reach optimal health then that is exactly what I'll do.

This book had so much good information and a good deal of it centered around leptin and why we need to be sure that we are leptin sensitive that it is difficult for me to really zero in and focus on much else. I will say this, though. I almost fainted when I read the chapter on diabetes. It seems I was many, many years ahead of the scientific community back in my undergrad days. I was a second year student taking a pathophysiology course and I was paying extra attention to the sections on diabetes since there is so much of it in my family. The more I learned in that class, coupled with what I had already learned in other courses, I asked my professor if perhaps diabetes was a disease at all--maybe, I suggested, that it is perhaps a freakish remnant in our DNA from the days before we were homo-anythings that needed to hibernate. Well, let me tell you, I was thoroughly scolded, later in private, for going off on such a wild tangent, distracting others and taking valuable lecture time to ask a question like that when it was a well-established, scientific fact that diabetes is a disease. I very politely reminded this professor that there is no such thing as a "scientific fact" because to say that something is written in stone, scientifically, implies that there is nothing left to be learned about the thing--which flies in the face of science and scientific research, in my opinion. I still aced the course, but I never took another one with that professor no matter how much I wanted to study the subject.

Anyway, Dr. Kruse, 33 years later, suggests the same thing in his book. Mostly. His ideas are thought out, researched, and presented a lot better than my little theory back in the day and I wonder what would have happened had my thoughts and questions been given even the slightest consideration--would I have pursued biology instead of physics? So, when I read his findings and thoughts on the subject of diabetes, I became a true believer.

His discussion on heart disease, obesity, autoimmune disorders, neurological issues, and more are as thorough as anything I have ever read. I spot-checked references and couldn't find anything amiss. So, what does this mean?

It means I have officially drunk the kool-aide and have decided to get off the fence with respect to my gluten-free-mostly-paleo diet and go strictly paleo. I still stand by my beliefs in that we are all different, biochemically and genetically, and that what works for one may not work for another, but I am now thoroughly convinced that grains are just not something I need. Not now. Not ever.

Until next time... oh, I will be posting my recipe for Quinoa-nut-raisin bread soon. Despite what any of the die-hards say--I consider it perfectly paleo.


6 comments:

  1. Good Luck! Well-written post, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks :) I just got back from the butcher so I'm armed and ready with my sausages, chicken, and pork chops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm leptin resistant without the tests, but I've had test that show my adrenal function has almost bottomed out. I've started to try to read his blog and reading it is almost as difficult as living it. I heard him say that one oyster was better than grass-fed animals, so as I'm living below the poverty level in the states, I'm getting canned oysters, whether I like them or not. Just finished the last grain in the house and hope I don't succumb to buying more. My doctor has told me for years that she doesn't think eating grain is good for anyone. Now that I've read some of the science, I'm believing her. Also, I took a stool test from Genova Labs and I almost had no flora in my gut. Time to get serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet! Thanks for visiting and commenting.
      That's why I got the book because a friend told me that it contains all the important information from his blog--which is huge now and pretty cumbersome for newbies such as us. Even a few weeks ago when I decided to check him out again, I found it to be overwhelming.

      I realize my blog is just beginning and while it is not loaded with science like his or Mark Sisson's and others, it will eventually come to contain many of the practices and principles of theirs without all the heavy duty science. Not because they are wrong, but because I believe if people really want all the nitty-gritty why's, someone else has already written them and I would feel like I was reinventing the wheel. Also, truth be told, I simply do not have the time to do so much research. If you've read my blog, you'll see I really do have a super full schedule and I don't wish to do the research any disservice by rushing through it.

      Going grain free is not easy-peasy for most of us simply because of our wheat addictions. Getting past the first few days is the hardest because you will go through withdrawals. These aren't a joke, either. These are real as wheat has been proven to be a food substance that acts on our opiate receptors just like heroine or crack.

      My only word of caution to you is this: If you truly do not like a food item, you shouldn't eat it--no matter what anyone says. I stand by that. If you are forcing yourself to eat food you dislike, you won't be able to stay on your chosen path. It is better to eat what you can stick with. Of course, that is entirely up to you and you know what your will power is like. If you're only going to choke them down for the leptin reset, fine. I'm sitting here choking down breakfast right now and I'm treating the whole LR and big breakfast as medicine. It's temporary but with lasting results.
      If you want to be able to stay in touch, you can find me on FB "Mila Bulic" and my page "Without the Gluten or the Grains." If you don't have his book, send me a private message--we'll talk.
      Good luck, stay with me here, and together we can get through this.

      Delete
  4. Having Problems FOLLOWING with the Paleo Diet?

    Do you want to eat some delicious recipes as soon as TONIGHT?

    Check out this book: Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a chance you're eligible for a free $1,000 Amazon Gift Card.

    ReplyDelete