Friday, April 12, 2013

The Offal Truth


Definition of OFFAL

1
: the waste or by-product of a process: as
a : trimmings of a hide
b : the by-products of milling used especially for stock feeds
c : the viscera and trimmings of a butchered animal removed in dressing : variety meat
2


Definition #2 says it all for me. Rubbish. I know, it's supposed to be good for you.  I guess.  Of course, I'd like to see good studies that took place (on humans) that lasted for more than a few months before I'd even consider believing it.  I still wouldn't eat it, though, even if it was deemed harmless and nutritious.  It's that line I talked about before and I'm not crossing it. 
Offal also, to me, tastes awful.  Again, I know a lot of people like it.  A lot of people also like the notion of "snout to tail" when animals are being butchered for food.  Fine, use it. But I just don't want to eat it. Not me. Nunh-unh.  No way.  I'm really hard pressed to believe that organs that were used for filtering toxins from the body are good to eat.  I can not believe they are good for you. Also, the poop-chute? Me, eat that? Not on your life. Gross.
However, if we look at definition #1, we may give pause to eating meat or drinking milk from animals that were fed offal.  I don't think that cows, sheep, or other traditional barnyard animals were meant to eat this stuff.  That's why, if I lived in the States or in parts of Europe, I would be very careful about what I buy and from where I buy it.  
I'll probably lose what few readers I have with this post, but honestly, it's my blog and I can say what I want.  If you like these things, go for it! I simply can not bring myself to put it in my mouth.  I also don't like when members of an otherwise very supportive community give me grief because I won't choke down some liver, kidneys, or pigs ears.  
As for me, I'll just stick to the main cuts of properly raised and fed animals and call it a day.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment